This course aims to introduce participants to the concept of mediation and its use in settling arguments, disputes and conflict, enabling participants to become more confident as a mediator building a personal style and approach.
At the end of the programme participants will:
- Have a clear understanding of what mediation entails
- Understand the behavioural differences between individuals and how conflict is dealt with in different ways
- Know how to be a strong and supportive mediator in the workplace
- Develop and improve personal skills of communication, coaching and dealing with conflict
- Be more confident when tackling mediation issues at work, building on a high level of self-awareness of personal strengths in this area
This programme is for:
Experienced human resource professionals, managers and those with an interest in learning about how to deal effectively with conflict. Those who want to improve their communication techniques and those who may be looking at mediation as a career will also find the programme worthwhile.
The approach of this six-day workshop will be highly interactive and practical. Participants will be encouraged to express their views and to discuss their own experience. The use of practical exercises, case studies and role-plays will ensure a high degree of participation and self-learning. A flexible approach will be used throughout and priority will be given to the interests and learning of the group. To achieve accreditation this course is assessed by exam and assignment submissions.
- Different mediation contexts
- Characteristics of a proficient mediator
- Gaining commitment to mediate
- The mediation process
- Tasks required at each stage of the process
- Ground rules
- Demonstration of a mediation case
- A range of skills is introduced, and participants practice each skill as well as integrating these skills into a mediation
- Role play
- Building rapport
- Active listening
- Process management
- Reality testing
- Framing and reframing
- Dealing with emotions
- Side conferencing
- Option development
- Handling apology
- Reaching agreements
- Drafting agreements
- Dealing with barriers and impasse
- Learning from mediations and developing professionally
Brendan is a consultant and trainer with over 20 years’ experience in human resource management, development and employee relations in the areas of manufacturing, services, education and healthcare.
As one of the most experienced workplace mediators in Ireland and the UK, Brendan has developed and run numerous mediation skills courses. He is an effective facilitator for multiparty group discussions in industrial relations, strategic planning, team building and other workplace scenarios.